Date:      Thu, 29 Dec 2011 10:23:58 -0800 (PST)
From:      Pedro Giffuni <pfg@freebsd.org>
To:        Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Removal of sysinstall from HEAD and lack of a post-install configuration tool

=0A=0A--- Gio 29/12/11, Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn@freebsd.org> ha scritt=
o:=0A...=0A> =0A> I'd appreciate any specific comments you might have, and=
=0A> especially =0A> specific suggestions for improvements. Except from peo=
ple=0A> who are old =0A> hands at sysinstall, I've received almost universa=
lly=0A> positive comments =0A> on the user experience. Patches would be eve=
n more=0A> appreciated, since =0A> real life has intervened to steal most o=
f my FreeBSD time.=0A> -Nathan=0A>=0A=0AFWIW;=0A=0AI have practically given=
 up on installing FreeBSD lately=0Aand I mostly use PC-BSD. I mainly see tw=
o big issues:=0A=0A-X.Org has become very difficult to install. Setting up=
=0Ahald and friends, not to mention that you have to choose=0Acarefully you=
r hardware previously. It's a nightmare.=0A- I am OK with sysinstall disapp=
earing: however it was=0Anice to have all the setup tools in one place. How=
 am=0AI supposed to install prebuilt packages (and the myriad=0Aof dependen=
cies) from now on? Ports are cool but having=0Ato wait to rebuild gcc to be=
 able to use scilab is a=0Anonsense.=0A=0APC-BSD is not without problems th=
ough. In my system=0Ait wants to use "latam" kbd which doesn't even=0Aexist=
 AFAICT.=0A=0AJust my $0.02, I know writing a replacement for the=0Afull bl=
own sysinstall is a rather heroic thing to do.=0A=0ARegards,=0A=0APedro.=0A