Date:      Fri, 1 Dec 2006 08:27:56 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: rsync as a daemon doesn't play nice with rcng

> On Thu, Nov 30, 2006 at 05:09:43PM -0500, Bill Moran wrote:
> >
> > Noticed that the rsync port has an rcng compliant script for starting
> > rsync in daemon mode.  Nice.
> >
> > Unfortunately, rsync doesn't seem to write its pidfile to /var/run,
> > and doesn't seem to even _support_ doing so.
>
> The documentation suggests that it *does* support doing so.
> The rsyncd.conf(5) manpage (referenced by the rsync(1) manpage) mentions
> a "pid file" option that seems to be exactly what you want.
> (The rsync port also installs an example rsyncd.conf into /usr/local/etc/
>  that sets that option.)
>
> I have never actually tried running rsync in daemon mode so I don't know
> if the above actually works, but it certainly seems like it should.

Ahh ... so that pidfile is dependent on a setting in the config file.
Of course, I was looking through the rsync(1) man page, which makes no
mention of this.

It's odd that there's no command line switch that corresponds.  I copied
the rsyncd.conf file from an older system, and didn't look at the sample
until you pointed it out.  It would be nice if this could be specified
on the command line, so it could be a default option set in the rc
script.

Perfect world vs. nearly perfect world ...

Thanks for the feedback.

--
Bill Moran
Collaborative Fusion Inc.