Date:      Sun, 10 Nov 1996 22:02:37 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Eric M. Forden" <forden@buffnet.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Installation problem

I'm not sure where to post the following question:

I am running Win95 on one hard drive in my machine. I downloaded the bin,
des, dict, doc, manpages, proflibs, and info directories from
ft.freebsd.org into C:\FREEBSD and I would like to install FreeBSD on a
second hard drive which has nothing on it.  When I go through the boot
floppy and get everything set up, the commit program is giving me
problems.  When it starts to copy the files, it gives an error: 'Write
failure on transfer! (wrote -1 bytes of 1024)'.  The hard drive I am
installing from is a Seagate 2.1GB and the hard drive I'm trying to
install to is a Seagate 1GB.  Both are set up to use Block Mode, LBA, and
32 bit transfer.  I tried turning off the Block/LBA/32 bit transfer on the
second drive, but I still am getting the Write error.  I have asked quite
a few times on the #FreeBSD channel on IRC but no one seems to know the
answer.  My machine is a 486DX4/120 PCI with 16MB of ram.

I also tried to install it via ftp (the sysadmin at my ISP has the
distribution installed on a machine) but when I get all the fields filled
in, it will not connect to the site I am specifying.

If anyone could give me some assistance, that would be great - I'm really
anxious to get FreeBSD running on my machine.  Any help is greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,
--Eric