Date:      Tue, 15 Sep 1998 08:58:01 -0700
From:      Jim Barker <jbarker@BBN.COM>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG.'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   New monitor

I read the below story on CNET and think this would be a wonderful addition
to the driver's available in the future.  The monitor is not yet produced
in mass, but once it is I know I will be purchasing it.  I'm not quite sure
if there is even any additional programming needed, if I'm lucky there
won't be and I can just adjust my X11R6 setting's to accomodate.  Thanks.

                 Screen matches printed
                 page
                 By Reuters
                 Special to CNET News.com
                 September 13, 1998, 9:25 a.m. PT

                 NEW YORK--Computer users, rest your weary
                 eyes on this.

                 Scientists at IBM Research said they have
                 developed a new flat-panel computer display that
                 allows users to see text and images with
                 200-pixel-per-inch clarity that is virtually
                 indistinguishable from the printed page.

                 The prototype display, code-named Roentgen after
                 the inventor of the X-ray machine, has four times
                 the pixels, or picture elements, in the same space as
                 common cathode-ray tube desktop monitors,
                 which display 80 and 100 pixels per inch.

                 Roentgen displays rely on new active-matrix liquid
                 crystal technology to produce razor-sharp color
                 images that, from a normal viewing distance of 16
                 inches or more, eliminate for the human eye the
                 fuzziness associated with electronic displays.

                 "We are right at the point at which human vision
                 ceases to notice any distortion," Robert Wisnieff,
                 leader of the research team, said of the
                 200-pixel-per-inch displays. Office equipment
                 using such displays will significantly reduce, if not
                 eliminate, eyestrain, he said.

                 "There's a good experimental correlation between
                 [computer screen] legibility and lower eyestrain,"
                 Wisnieff, manager of the advanced display
                 technology laboratory at IBM Research in
                 Yorktown Heights, New York, said in an
                 interview.

                 Experts believe that computer eye strain is linked to
                 the effort the human eye must make to fill in gaps
                 that exist between the small light elements of
                 computerized displays, which represent only a
                 fraction of the elements of a real image.

                 The displays initially are aimed at high-end niche
                 uses like aircraft design, medical imaging, legal
                 record scanning, and digital art libraries but
                 eventually should find their way into IBM desktop
                 and notebook computers, Wisnieff said.

                 Early Roentgen displays will cost more than
                 $5,000, or several times the $1,500 to $2,000
                 price of IBM's most expensive cathode-ray
                 monitors, but prices will fall as demand picks up
                 and mass manufacturing economics take hold, he
                 said.

                 "Ultra-high resolution displays have the potential to
                 greatly increase the usability...of digital images,
                 including...architectural and electronic blueprints,
                 historical archives, and scanned records such as
                 those stored by hospitals or insurance companies,
                 Wisnieff said.

                 "We also expect the degree of clarity and crispness
                 offered by the Roentgen prototype to be in high
                 demand for graphic design and electronic publishing
                 applications," he added.

                 The first Roentgen products should be in customer
                 hands later this year, starting with medical imaging
                 systems, he said.

                 Besides offering 200 pixels per inch, the new
                 displays have full color depth and gray-scale
                 shading on a 16.3-inch diagonal viewing area of
                 2,560 by 2,048 pixels, or 5.2 million full-color
                 pixels in all. Each screen uses 15.7 million
                 transistors and 1.64 miles of thin film aluminum
                 alloy wiring.

                 Fellow IBM researcher Kevin Warren said his
                 group has devised a graphics adapter system, using
                 standard, off-the-shelf components, capable of
                 processing the more than 1 billion bits of graphics
                 data per second that such screens demand. This
                 allows the displays to be connected to widely
                 available high-performance personal computers
                 running Windows operating system, he said.

                 Work on the Roentgen displays, which began 18
                 months ago, is the latest outgrowth of research
                 begun in the mid-1980s by IBM on active matrix
                 displays. It builds on a 150-pixel-per-inch monitor
                 under development since 1995 known as "Monet,"
                 so named because of its capacity to depict the fine
                 brush strokes of a painting.

                 Monet technology is now used in IBM's
                 state-of-the-art ThinkPad 770 notebook model.

                 The latest development represents more a triumph
                 of manufacturing improvements than design
                 breakthrough, researchers said, and is the product
                 of close work with IBM's ThinkPad display factory
                 in Japan.

                 "We had to think in advance how far we could
                 stretch the design by working with our factory
                 counterparts in Japan," which allowed IBM to build
                 scores of prototypes on a standard manufacturing
                 line instead of one-of-a-kind models in a lab,
                 Wisnieff said.

                 The researchers contrasted the work, which uses
                 existing materials and display manufacturing
                 equipment, with efforts by competitors to develop
                 new imaging materials known as polymorphous
                 silicon. Such technology is unproven and more
                 costly, as it will require these companies to switch
                 over their plants to new equipment.

                 Story Copyright ? 1998 Reuters Limited. All rights
                 reserved.

Jim Barker
UNIX/NT Administrator
GTE Internetworking