Date:      Wed, 11 Feb 2004 09:59:28 -0500 (EST)
From:      Weldon Godfrey <weldon@excelsus.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Asus P4S8X/P4S8X-X with Sis648,963

Hello,

	Sorry to disturb about this.

	I have found a couple posts exhibiting the same problems that I
have had with the Asus P4S8X/P4S8X-X motherboard using Sis648,963.  The
posts mentioned FreeBSD 4.7 and 5.0.  I am using FreeBSD 4.8-Rp3.  The
following happens at boot unless you turn off UDMA from the BIOS (and thus
using PIO mode 4):
(ad0: READ command timeout tag=0 serv=0 - resetting
 ata0: resetting devices ..)

	One of the writers of the posts has responded back to me saying it
was fixed under FreeBSD 5.1-R.  I am trying to find out if it was fixed
also under FreeBSD 4.9-R.  I can't find any mention of the fixes in the
release or errata notes for 4.8 or 4.9.  I do see in the release notes for
5.1 that "The ata(4) driver now supports all known SiS chipsets. (More
details can be found in the Hardware Notes.)"

	The reason is that I am getting ready for a rebuild of my system
and want to use SATA.  I know it works well under 4.8-R and I have seen
the notes about 5.2-R having some issues with SATA and thus would rather
use 4.9-R.  I want to use SATA and the on board IDE controller on the same
system with drives on both.

Thanks in advance,

Weldon