Date:      Fri, 14 Nov 1997 13:24:26 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        sarah@BLaCKSMITH.com
Cc:        Jim Shankland <jas@flyingfox.com>, phk@critter.freebsd.dk, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: four-port ethernet card compatible with freebsd

>Thanks for the input on the znyx.  I checked it out and noticed that it has
>the Dec chip 21140, which is essentially the same as the adaptec that we were
>looking at.  I'm not sure how freeBSD drivers are written, but it could be
>that a driver for the znyx would work on the adaptec(cogent).  If there are
>known problems with the znyx we probably want to avoid it.
>
>I have another related question, though.  Our fileserver runs freeBSD 2.1.6
>and has an intel etherexpress pro 100b ethernet card.  We've been noticing
>increasingly high Ierrs with this setup, which is kind of scary with it being
>the fileserver and all.  One of my co-workers has the exact same setup on
>his home machine and is experiencing the same problem.  Is there a known
>problem with that driver?  If so, is it fixed in later versions of freeBSD?
>Any ideas on how to minimize the Ierrs?

   There shouldn't be any input errors - this is indicating that something is
wrong. The version of the driver in 2.1.6 doesn't support full duplex, but
the card will try to negotiate it in any case. If you have the machine
connected to a switch, then this is likely the problem. You'll need to
configure the switch port to half duplex or upgrade to the current release
of FreeBSD (which supports full duplex operation).

-DG

David Greenman