Date:      Fri, 14 Jan 2000 22:37:18 -0500
From:      Justin Wells <jread@semiotek.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   cannot buildworld with securelevel turned on

This is what happens when I try to do a buildworld:

   install -C -c -o root -g wheel -m 444   -fschg
         libdescrypt.so.2 /usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/usr/lib
   install: /usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/usr/lib/libdescrypt.so.2:
         chown/chgrp: Operation not permitted
   *** Error code 71

The problem is that I am running with securelevel turned on. My plan was
to do the "buildworld" with the server up, then drop to single user mode,
run the "installworld", and hopefully bring it back up again without
being down for too long.

Now I will require an extra reboot just to clear the securelevel flag.

Is it really necessary to mark the stuff in /usr/obj with schg? I guess
someone could modify the stuff in there, and then wait for me to upgrade
my system or something. But they could equally well modify the source
files in /usr/src, so I'm not sure how much security this adds.

I think the schg flag should not be set here.

Justin