Date:      Wed, 20 Nov 2019 21:14:27 -0800
From:      Matthew Macy <mmacy@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-fs <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Revisiting the ZFS test suite

On Wed, Nov 20, 2019 at 8:18 AM Alan Somers <asomers@freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 20, 2019 at 1:17 AM Andriy Gapon <avg@freebsd.org> wrote:
>
> > On 04/10/2019 19:23, Alan Somers wrote:
> > > My employment status changed last week, and I find myself once again
> > > working on ZFS.  It's hard to have confidence in any changes without a
> > > solid test suite, so my main task right now is to fix the problems in
> > > FreeBSD's ZFS test suite.  Our most recent run had 64 failed tests and 99
> > > skipped ones; let's get those down to 0 and something small,
> > respectively.
> > >
> > > https://ci.freebsd.org/job/FreeBSD-head-amd64-test_zfs/3880/testReport/
> > >
> > > Would anybody be interested to review my changes to the test suite?  It's
> > > not terrible if I have to commit without review; I can't possibly break
> > > anything but the test suite itself.
> >
> > Alan,
> >
> > just curious, did you have any plans to merge new tests and changes to
> > existing
> > tests from illumos or ZoL?
> > I've imported quite a few code changes, many times there were test changes
> > or
> > new test, but I never took time to merge them.
> >

> > --
> > Andriy Gapon
> >

> We'll need to do it sooner or later, but it's going to take a large
> effort.  I can't justify that much effort right now.  And it will require
> changing ZoL's test suite, too, not just ours.  We'll need to convince them
> to use ATF, for example.

I highly doubt that Brian cares one way or the other. They currently
have a large group of ksh tests run by a bespoke python test driver.
The issue is that someone would need to convert the test suite and CI
to use ATF. The OpenZFS CI will be the first stop for any changes, so
adding / fixing tests in the OpenZFS test suite would have the most
long term impact.