Date:      Tue, 13 Jul 2004 15:10:33 +0300
From:      Ilker OZUPAK <ilker.ozupak@emu.edu.tr>
To:        Johan Pettersson <manlix@demonized.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CPUTYPE=p4 & kernel config

On Tuesday 13 July 2004 11:38, you wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 22:17:56 -0400 (EDT)
>
> Andre Guibert de Bruet <andy@siliconlandmark.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, 12 Jul 2004, Ilker OZUPAK wrote:
> > > is there any kernel options that is mandatory for the
> > > "CPUTYPE=3Dp4" case. anything to be addded to GENERIC
> > > or to not to be removed.
> >
> > Your CPU qualifies for the I686_CPU cpu directive. You may consider
> > commenting out I{4,5}86_CPU if you are not concerned with having the
> > kernel boot on older machines. You may also want to add "options
> > CPU_ENABLE_SSE".
> >
> > Regards,
> > Andy
>
> 'CPU_ENABLE_SSE' is automatically enabled when the kernel is compiled
> with 'cpu I686_CPU'.

so here are two different configs=20
<conf_1>
machine i386
cpu I486_CPU
cpu I586_CPU
cpu I686_CPU
=2E...
=2E...
</conf_1>

<conf_2>
machine i386
cpu I686_CPU
=2E...
=2E...
</conf_2>

for the first config i should enable it manually. (for a P4 machine)

and in second one it is enabled by default so i dont need to add enable
to kern. conf

should i put options CPU_DISABLE_SSE for P2 and P3 machines?

would not using disable option on a p2 machine with kern. conf like=20
second couse any ill effects? like not being able to run the binaries compi=
led=20
with -march=3Dpentium4 ...

and is this enable disable automaticly has anything to do with CPUTYPE opti=
on
on the /etc/make.conf

=2D --
ilker