Date:      Mon, 21 May 2012 14:36:22 +0200
From:      Daniel Grech <dgre090@gmail.com>
To:        Daniel Braniss <danny@cs.huji.ac.il>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, Uffe Jakobsen <uffe@uffe.org>
Subject:   Re: USB over IP

something similar is being done in the latest versions of qemu. There is a
usb redirection module which is in the form of a client/server architecture
where USB packets are sent over IP. These two modules communicate with
eachother through a protocol developed specifically for the redirection of
USB devices over IP so if I were you I would have a look at the qemu code
for some ideas.