Date:      Thu, 9 Jan 1997 10:34:44 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Richard Gordner <gordner@calumet.purdue.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, gordner@nwi.calumet.purdue.edu
Subject:   Re: Can't install from Floppies

On Thu, 9 Jan 1997, Richard Gordner wrote:

> I have been trying for the past couple of days to install a version
> newer than 2.1.0 of freebsd with floppies. I have been downloading the
> bin and manpages files for 2.1.0 and have no problem, using the root.flp
> prior to loading the bin and manpages distribution. Your later versions
> don't have a root.flp and after the 'commit' step I am told to insert
> the floppy into the A drive.. The Floppy has a:/bin/aa.bin , DOS files
> on it and needs to be extracted.  I have read your instructions many
> times and I can't get the distribution bin or manpages to load.
> Suggestions please....I have no problem with 2.1.0 installing with
> floppies.

The floppy install procedure has changed greatly since 2.1.  In short:

1.  There is no root.flp.
2.  The archives are bin/bin.aa, bin/bin.bb...and so forth, and must go in
the subdirs as you have mentioned.  You must also place the bin.inf file
on the first disk, and on the last disk of each distribution place the
.inf file of the next distribution.

Hope this helps.  I would recommend trying another method if you can
though, it will make your life much happier.