Date:      Thu, 05 Nov 1998 08:58:02 +0000
From:      Richard Smith <richard@jezebel.demon.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ncr0: timeout ccb=0xf0533400 (skip)

[this question was originally posted to -questions]

I have a symbios logic v4.0 pci scsi bios pci rev 2.0,2.1 pci-4.03.00
53c875 fast20 wide scsi [which has subsequently been upgraded to 4.11]
and a fujitsu M2949E-512 HDD (about 8.5 Gbytes).

I am running FreeBSD 2.2.7R and NT 4.0 on the same machine. The disk is
split so that NT occupies the lower 4G and FreeBSD occupies the upper 4G
(as this was the only way I could get NT to boot), and using your boot
manager to switch between the two.

Under FreeBSD, the system keeps falling over with a single ncr0: timeout
error, nothing else gets written to the screen, and nothing gets written
to the message log (as it's on the same disk). The problem usually needs
two power cycles to rectify, as the first falls over again during fsck.

The problem appears to be pattern sensitive: If I try to tar my mail
directory it falls over every time, while othertimes it may stay up all
day. Needless to say NT never fails.

I have played with cables, checked terminators, searched the mailing
lists.

I want to advocate FreeBSD for my next project, and I'm prepared to
specify different hardware for that project and for my desktop (such
as the Adaptec 2940UW - which appears to be popular). What I would like
from you is some guidance as to why I appear to be having these problems
with the current configuration.

I hope you can help, and I hope the I haven't violated too many rules by
posting this question here :-)