Date:      Wed, 30 Aug 2000 17:31:21 -0400
From:      Dan Moschuk <dan@freebsd.org>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Jim Mock <jim@freebsd.org>, "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@freebsd.org>, freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HARDWARE.TXT vs. {i386,alpha}/RELNOTES.TXT

| Agreed.  In my ideal world, Appendix F becomes the official supported
| hardware list.  HARDWARE.TXT is generated by a process that does
| something like
|
|      cp ...../handbook/hardware/chapter.sgml .
|      cat doctype.sgml chapter.sgml | jade -foo -bar -baz ... > chapter.html
|      w3m -dump chapter.html > HARDWARE.TXT
|
| I'm handwaving somewhat, but you get the idea.  HARDWARE.TXT in the
| repository should say:
|
|     DO NOT TOUCH THIS FILE.  IT IS GENERATED AUTOMATICALLY FROM THE
|     HANDBOOK, GO AND EDIT THE HANDBOOK INSTEAD!

I volunteered about a month back to take over the responsibility of
maintaining the HARDWARE.TXT file.  In my ideal world, this file as well
as the handbook would be generated from some central XML point.

I always meant to open up discussion on this list as to the best way of
doing this... now is as good of time as any. :)

Dan
--
Man is a rational animal who always loses his temper when he is called
upon to act in accordance with the dictates of reason.