Date:      Wed, 26 Dec 2001 15:11:48 -0500 (EST)
From:      Joe Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        "Peter/Los Angeles, CA" <peter@haloflightleader.net>
Cc:        Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>, <sthaug@nethelp.no>, <all@biosys.net>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 4.5 PRERELEASE - Call for testing

On Wed, 26 Dec 2001, Peter/Los Angeles, CA wrote:

> > Can one expect two 10/100 switches to "agree" on a common duplex and speed
> > setting? In my experience in some cases connecting two switches will plain
> > not work at all.
>
> I am not an expert, but these are the switches that I use with some
> regularity:
> Cisco Catalyst 1900
> Cisco Catalyst 2948
> Netgear FS116
>
> These switches speak to each other just fine.  Our office has 5 different
> floors.  Resources from the LAN room in one floor is distributed via having
> a single Catalyst 2948 on each floor.  Each of these 2948s are connected to
> each other directly via TP.  In the LAN Room, there is a Cisco 2500 Router,
> which connects us to another branch in DC.
>
> Anyway, to answer your question, switches can be daisy chained.  I don't
> remember the rewls as far as which kind of cable to use, for instance, I
> believe it's a cross-over for switch to switch, and computer to switch uses
> straight-thru cables or was that backwards.  I get this confused all the
> time, but I just try out two different cables, and one always works, so I
> never really remember which is which.
>
> Just a word of caution to those using Netgear hubs and Cisco switches; I've
> never successfully made these two devices communicate.  The collision light
> on the netgear hub goes on, and never goes off when connected to the Cat.

This should work.  Just make sure to hardcode the Cisco switch to be
half-duplex.  Hubs cannot be full-duplex by design.

Also, switch-switch or switch-hub uses cross-over cable (unless your
plugging into a MDI or cascade port, then use straight-through).
pc-switch or pc-hub or router-switch or router-hub uses straight-through.

Joe