Date:      Wed, 9 Oct 1996 09:11:13 +0200 (IST)
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        "S(pork)" <spork@super-g.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "Packages" questions

On Tue, 8 Oct 1996, Doug White wrote:

> On Tue, 8 Oct 1996, S(pork) wrote:
>
> > I've been using this both with the install utility and with pkg_add
> > ftp://etc.... to add some packages.  If I use pkg_add witht the ftp
> > option (I generally use the primary site) it will say at some point that it
> > is retrieving the index, and then present me with a list of available
> > packages.  In particular I've been looking for rz/sz and fwtk.  They are
> > both listed as available packages, but I always end up with a message
> > stating that the package is not available.
>
> The INDEX system lists _all_ available ported software, including ports.
> rzsz and fwtk in particular does not exist as a package due to legal
> restrictions;  however the port works fine.

Well, almost. I (re)installed the fwtk not long ago, and it doesn't
really work out of the box. TIS wants you to mail them a letter
confirming you've read their license before you can install, so they hide
the fwtk in a directory with a cryptic name that changes every 12 hours.
Go to their site, read the README, do what it says, and you'll be mailed
the location for the fwtk. Then, modify the makefile for the port to get
it from the correct directory.