Date:      Mon, 3 May 2004 19:23:33 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, jaymo@cromagnon.cullmail.com
Subject:   Re: ports hosed

On Monday 03 May 2004 05:20 pm, Jay Moore wrote:
> On Sunday 04 April 2004 05:24 pm, you wrote:
> > > But I guess I'm not completely convinced that it'll take far less
> > > time. I started the K3b port install Friday evening... I'm on
> > > about the third iteration of portupgrade, and each iteration is
> > > an _extremely_ long process on this old 350 MHz system with 211+
> > > ports. Several of the port installs require input from the
> > > console to continue, so I've been friggin' chained to this desk
> > > all weekend long. Too much work, too much time!
> >
> > I understand that problem. I have a P-II 400 that I don't build
> > anything on because it takes so long. I did the portupgrade -rf
> > expat2 on an AMD 2400+ XP and complained because it ran for 13
> > hours. If you use ratios, which don't always apply, your 350 is
> > close to 16x slower. It is 8x by the clock and 2x for hardware
> > speed ups.
>
> Whew! It took almost a  month, but I think I made it - well,
> almost... I've had an unbelievable string of mishaps (UPS died,
> travel, etc, etc). I re-started 'portupgrade -rf textpproc/expat2'
> Thursday, and early this morning was able to startx & see KDE 3.2 for
> the first time - about a 3 day process to build on this  350 MHz
> machine.

There is no substitute for speed. Last weekend, I did a -prRfa on ruby
and it had updated all 303 ports a little over 12 hours later.

> I say "almost" because two ports are still hosed: samba and
> openoffice. I'm thinking the best strategy from here is to remove
> these ports & re-install as pre-built packages... any analysis or
> comments on this approach?

I can't think of anything. I don't use either but have seen a number of
messages on OO. Since I don't user either, I didn't pay attention to
what the problems were. Those are 2 ports that I wouldn't willingly add
to my sacrificial system :).

The snapshots.jp.freebsd.org site looks like it has current port
packages for both 4-stable and 5-current. A download and pkg_add would
probably much faster than a build from source :).

Kent