Date:      Tue, 16 May 1995 17:18:23 MDT
From:      steve@khoros.unm.edu (Steven Jorgensen)
To:        David Schnardthorst <ds3721@strydr.com>, freebsd.org!questions@strydr.com
Subject:   Re: ProAudio Spectrum and Mediavision CDROM

On May 16, 13:30, David Schnardthorst wrote:
} Subject: ProAudio Spectrum and Mediavision CDROM
>> Is it possible to get a proaudio spectrum sound card and a Mediavision CDROM
>> to work under FREE-BSD.
}-- End of excerpt from David Schnardthorst

	I've got mediavision multimedia package, and it seems to work
	fine.  The only problem is that I can't run music CD's on the
	CDROM from FreeBSD, and I think the reason is that my CDROM is
	a SCSI 1 device, and the scsilib is expecting a SCSI 2 device..
	The sound card works pretty good, although the mod player I have
	for FreeBSD isn't very good.  Anyway, the following configuration
	works for me.. Add the lines to you kernel configuration file
	and remake your kernel..

#
# Audio drivers: `snd', `pca'
#
# snd: Voxware sound drivers for various cards (see file `sound.doc')
# pca: PCM audio through your PC speaker
#
# Someday, Voxware configuration will be done properly.
#
#device snd5 at isa? port 0x330 irq 6 vector mpuintr
#device snd4 at isa? port 0x220 irq 15 drq 6 vector gusintr
device snd3 at isa? port 0x388 irq 12 drq 3 vector pasintr
device snd2 at isa? port 0x220 irq 7 drq 1 vector sbintr
#device snd6 at isa? port 0x220 irq 7 drq 5 vector sbintr
#device snd7 at isa? port 0x300
device snd1 at isa? port 0x38a

device pca0 at isa? tty

	I have the CDROM on my Adaptec SCSI instead of the PAS16, but
	if you have the line:

controller     pas0    at isa? port 0x1f88 bio

	in your kernel config file it should control the CDROM just fine.

	Finally, you'll have to use MAKEDEV in /dev to create the
	audio devices by doing

	% MAKEDEV snd

	Hope this helps..

						Steve

Steven Jorgensen        | Khoral Research Inc.
steve@khoros.unm.edu    | 6001 Indian School, Suite 200
------------------------+ Albuquerque, NM 87110
FAX:   (505) 881-3842	| URL: http://www.khoros.unm.edu/