Date:      Tue, 22 May 2012 18:29:20 -0400
From:      Robert Simmons <rsimmons0@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        eadler@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Heimdal 1.5.2 problem
References:  <CA%2BQLa9ArX15Cgtyq%2B7PhhXtGGOj1dtVM4pisGfkFzVDJE7cs8A@mail.gmail.com> <4FAD492C.3060807@gmx.de> <CA%2BQLa9CyVUmvy=NzHiP73iTTRKVqU9Eza=PPMmLZrogoUn_gAg@mail.gmail.com> <CA%2BQLa9AC_mDrBiPaYOJ_M3F%2Bq07aUV1TATJcFgxSKCr2gPOFWw@mail.gmail.com> <9880B4F2567E41A582B6B9DA178AECFD@black> <CA%2BQLa9Bs1VSBoMW0cHvSSeET=9X7F--33iv=860FzKv%2BHYuqNg@mail.gmail.com> <CA%2BQLa9CeMN9=FF_BuKNeADuVkK5Hs74_MxsB97_zKRkT9hkDug@mail.gmail.com> <20120522125710.GB18115@atarininja.org> <CA%2BQLa9CBOw4HywRELLB8%2BCE%2Bc7t572bXdJhPi40smQxzT1LC4Q@mail.gmail.com> <20120522211434.GA5483@atarininja.org>

On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 5:14 PM, Wesley Shields <wxs@freebsd.org> wrote:
> On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 03:08:31PM -0400, Robert Simmons wrote:
>> On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 8:57 AM, Wesley Shields <wxs@freebsd.org> wrote:
>> > As the person who committed this update I will take responsibility for
>> > seeing this through. Would you mind opening a PR with this patch and C=
>> > both myself and the maintainer so it can be properly tracked. I will
>> > work with both of you to make sure it is addressed.
>>
>> I got some good feedback about the patch. =A0I was missing a "\". =A0Als=
o,
>> it was noted that I shouldn't make changes to the default settings in
>> this patch since it is meant to correct a problem. =A0I removed the
>> change to default.
>
> I'm not opposed to removing the change to the default, but it does cause
> another problem. See below.
>
>> Perhaps the different default is not the best solution. =A0Maybe there
>> should be a message that at least one backend is needed for the port
>> to function, but none have been selected by default?
>
> If a backend is required the port should refuse to build if no backend
> is selected. This is pretty easy to do, just check for at least one of
> the backends. I have no idea if multiple backends can be supported so
> you may or may not want to also check for that.

I may have been too hasty.  I've thought of a situation where one
would want to build the port with no backend at all.  If one wanted to
use the tools in the port to administrate a remote install of Heimdal,
they may want to build it without a backend.

My initial thoughts were only for installing the port as a Heimdal
server, and with the --with-berkeley-db=3Dno problem fixed it does not
wrongly find the version of BDB in the base OS.  With this fix, the
port can function with no backends selected.  It just won't be able to
function in a server capacity.

I am also not an expert in Heimdal, I just installed it from source
via its own instructions and compared that with what the FreeBSD port
was doing.  I'd wait for the maintainer to make changes to the default
behavior for the above reason.

> If it does require a backend then the port should default to one of
> them. If we don't pick one as a default then we get no package with the
> changes you are suggesting above (the IGNORE line I put in place will
> always happen on the package cluster).
>
> I'm attaching an updated version of your patch to this email that flips
> BDB on by default and does the check to make sure at least one backend
> is selected. If you feel it's sufficent we can get it in the PR so it is
> properly tracked.

See above.  And I read the commit logs for Heimdal 1.5.2 in HEAD in
the base OS and it seems that the default that that maintainer uses is
SQLite.  That makes me even more wary of changing default behavior to
choose BDB.  This is from the commit log:
Heimdal's KDC now require sqlite to operate.  We use the bundled version
  and install it as libheimsqlite.  If some other FreeBSD components will
  require it in the future we can rename it to libbsdsqlite and use for the=
se
  components as well.
http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/head/crypto/heimdal/ChangeLog?view=3Dlog

>> I have attached the updated patch, and I've opened a PR here:
>> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=3Dports/168214
>
> Thank you for opening a PR. All too often things can fall through the
> mailing list cracks, and if it's in a PR we can at least have a record
> of it. I see eadler@ has grabbed your PR. As I said earlier, I'm willing
> to step up and commit this (pending maintainer approval or timeout).

Glad I can help.