Date:      Tue, 13 Jun 1995 12:06:18 +0900
From:      Atsushi Murai <amurai@spec.co.jp>
To:        tom@uniserve.com
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GENERIC kernel & some basic UNIX pointers

Tom Samplonius <tom@uniserve.com> wrote:
:
:On Tue, 13 Jun 1995, Atsushi Murai wrote:
:
:> But Predictor-1 will try compression whole date when talk to peer ppp.
:> This will give us two advantage as follows:
:>
:>      1. Decrese system over head due to reducing a sio H/W interruption.
:>         (H/W interruption is required big cpu time especially latest cpu)
:
:  What about the extra CPU time and extra latency required for the actual
:compression?

Sorry I don't have data for handy but when I try to ping the other side
which is running iij-ppp with the compression by ISDN TA, I can get a RTP
around 50ms.

:>      2. For ISDN TA that doen's has a own H/W compression can get double
:>         speed with not compression data. ( i.e. 38400bps -> 7KB/sec )
:
:  I've looked at this application myself.  Especially over 56k or 64k
:links.  However, dedicated units still provide better performance (ex.
:Gandalf 5250i with "advertised" compression up to 8:1, and in reality
:isn't as much, but is still very good).

Yes. it's could be. But point is most compression algorizum is protected
by copyright. And each peer needs to accept(available) same compression
for talking as *comunication*. At least there is no meaning "No open
architecture" for communicat to world ;-)

:Tom

Atsushi.

--
Atsushi Murai                                         E-Mail: amurai@spec.co.jp
SPEC                                                  Voice : +81-3-3833-5341