Date:      Fri, 28 Sep 2001 18:29:09 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Samuel Greear <dragonk@evilcode.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dirlist mangling

Samuel Greear <dragonk@evilcode.net> types:
> Never done any kernel hacking before so I'm just looking
> for some pointers.  What's needed is a mechanism to
> specify a directory (or set of them) and whenever a request
> is made for the contents of that directory, if it exists in the
> list then what is returned needs to be mangled in some
> ways.   For instance an ls in a directory in the list might
> only return a list of files that you own, or that you have
> permission to read.

Since no one else bothered to answer this one - at least in public -
I'll take a crack at it.

I think you want to do this as a file system. Take a look at the
mount_umap man to see what kind of things you can do. You could use
that as a starting point - except you really ought to get the umap
file system working first.

	<mike
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.