Date:      Wed, 13 Nov 1996 17:45:14 -0800
From:      Jim Shankland <jas@flyingfox.COM>
To:        freebsd-questions@freefall.freebsd.org, mango@communique.net
Cc:        hardware@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re:  3C900 - 3C590 - 3C595 - SMC and PCI ethernet cards ???

> What PCI Ethernet card is solid and has good support under FBSD?

The standard answer has been to use cards based on the DEC 21x40
chips, especially the SMC cards.  I've used the SMC9332DST in 10
Megabit mode under 2.1.0-RELEASE and 2.1.5-RELEASE in some
pretty important applications, with no problems (other than an
excessively high reported collision count).

I'm disturbed by the recent reports of problems with these
cards.  I really need a stable, solid, PCI-based 10/100 Mbit
Ethernet solution for FreeBSD.  Is there anyone who can shed
some light on what's going on here (i.e., what seems to be the
underlying cause of the various failures)?  I'd be happy to help
in any way I can (test changes, donate a card, hack at the
driver, whatever).

Jim Shankland
Flying Fox Computer Systems, Inc.