Date:      Sat, 17 Apr 1999 23:04:26 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>
To:        USNAmeat@aol.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: installation problems

On Sat, 17 Apr 1999 USNAmeat@aol.com wrote:

> In the book UNIX System Administrators's Bible, by IDG Books, I recieved a CD
> which contained a full distribution of FreeBSD 2.2.5, with all source files.
> I am running Windows 98 on my UMAX, 300 Mhrz, Pentium 2 PC.  Through Windows,
> I am running the Setup program.  I choose option #5:
> "DOS   Set up to install from a DOS partition"
> When I check the "Binary base distribution", (it says it is required), and
> then choose "ok", an error box appears.  It says "BIN.INF:  Permission
> denied.  Press ESC".  My questions are what does this mean and how do I
> install the system onto my PC?  Thank you so much for your time.
>
>        Scott Dotson

freebsd 2.2.5 is from the distant past, but if you want to give it a
whirl i suggest you make boot floppies and use those.  I never remeber
freebsd being able to install itself from within windows.

to make boot floppies download:
ftp://ftp5.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/tools/fdimage.exe

and use that to make a boot floppy, the image you need is located
probably under a directory called "floppies" in the top level
directory of the cdrom.

insert a blank floppy disk:

fdimage -v boot.flp a:

after it's done reboot the machine and boot from the floppy.

-Alfred