Date:      Mon, 29 May 2000 11:03:03 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Conrad Sabatier <conrads@home.com>
To:        Fredrik Carlen <fredrik.carlen@futurniture.se>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: good reference for installing UNIX software

On 29-May-00 Fredrik Carlen wrote:
> Hi! I'm a one-year-old UNIX-user. :-)

Our youngest user ever!  Congratulations!  :-)

> I'd like to learn more about it, and one of the major holes in my
> UNIX-knowledge is like the ozone layer over the Antarctic...porting and
> installing UNIX software.
>
> Does somebody have a good reference as to compiling and
> installing/deinstalling and so forth?
> The FreeBSD ports/packages system is a really good one (even simpler tha
> Wondows Wizards!!! :-) ), but I want a more thorough insight as to what
> really happens in the machine.
>
> UNIX System Administration?
> Porting UNIX software?
>
> Are these outdated?
>
> Anyone?

You should definitely get *both* of these books, especially the porting book.
Both are very good.  While they may be a little out of date, and neither is
FreeBSD-specific, they both contain tons of useful information.

In fact, pretty much anything from O'Reilly publishers is a sure bet.  Real
quality stuff.

--
Conrad Sabatier
http://members.home.net/conrads/