Date:      Sun, 16 Sep 2001 12:18:01 -0500
From:      Bob Martin <bob@buckhorn.net>
To:        Fabrizio Ravazzini <freefabri@yahoo.it>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mail Server - Round Robin Load Distribution

Fabrizio Ravazzini wrote:

> Ok, so I understood that the right records are:
>
>      domain.com  IN  MX  10  mail1.domain.com
>      domain.com  IN  MX  10  mail2.domain.com
>
>      mail1.domain.com  IN  A  1.2.3.4
>      mail2.domain.com  IN  A  1.2.3.5
>
> but do I have load distribution whatever version of
> Bind installed in the nameserver?
> bye and thanks.

--Edited for brevity

This will work as long as you are using BIND from ISC.org. (That's what
comes with FreeBSD) It will probably work with other name servers as
well, but I don't have any first hand knowledge of that.

As a footnote, you should be using BIND-8.2.4-REL or newer for security
reasons. (Details at http://www.isc.org/bind/ ) To find out which
version you are using, issue the following command:
/usr/sbin/named -v

Bob Martin.