Date:      Thu, 9 Apr 2020 21:39:45 +0000
From:      Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
To:        Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Ars Technica article on FreeBSD new user experience

Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org> wrote:=0A=
>Jim Salter has an article in Ars Technica discussing his experience=0A=
>with FreeBSD 12.1 as a desktop:=0A=
>https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/04/not-actually-linux-distro-review-f=
reebsd-12-1-release/=0A=
>=0A=
>There are some points in there that might involve misunderstanding,=0A=
>but there are also a number of real issues raised about the experience=0A=
>a new (or newish) desktop FreeBSD user will have. It will be a good=0A=
>idea for us to examine these, and offer advice or corrections if=0A=
>appropriate, and otherwise look how we can improve the FreeBSD=0A=
>experience for new users.=0A=
Since this is a public mailing list, I'll repost here...=0A=
=0A=
One thought here that I'll throw out (I have no idea if others have suggest=
ed=0A=
this before)=85=0A=
What about creating a separate release for desktops/laptops that installs=
=0A=
X Windows etc from a simple installer "out of the box"?=0A=
--> To keep it simple, don't try to support all hardware, just stuff that i=
s widely=0A=
      available and already well supported by the drivers in FreeBSD.=0A=
      Obviously amd64 only plus a few widely available display chip sets th=
at work=0A=
      well, etc and so on...=0A=
=0A=
If it doesn't support the hardware someone has, then they can go the regula=
r=0A=
release/install route. (It would be nice to maintain an up to date list of =
what=0A=
hardware it supports, but it might be easier to just have it start up live =
CD=0A=
style and then see if the hardware it needs is there.=0A=
--> Sorry, can't do this display chipset to that sound chip or...=0A=
=0A=
Just an idea, rick=0A=
ps: I am not volunteering to help do this. I run FreeBSD on laptop/desktop=
=0A=
      systems, but bare bones. No X Windows...=