Date:      Thu, 8 Nov 2001 09:23:09 -0500
From:      Andrew BOGECHO <andrewb@cs.mcgill.ca>
To:        Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Stable <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: What NIC to choose ?

Thu Nov  8 09:00:14 EST 2001

I would like to add that we too have unexplained reboots when using RAID-5
and an fxp0 card. We have tried 4.1 and 4.2 and 4.3 and the problem has
still persisted. There does not seem to be a sequence to it, about once a
month the machine will reboot. I have tried logging the console info, but
nothing ever shows up.

The info is as follows:

The drives:

vinum -> list
5 drives:
D dvoldrive0  State: up       Device /dev/ad4s1a      Avail: 0/43974 MB (0%)
D dvoldrive1  State: up       Device /dev/ad5s1a      Avail: 0/43974 MB (0%)
D dvoldrive2  State: up       Device /dev/ad6s1a      Avail: 0/43974 MB (0%)
D dvoldrive3  State: up       Device /dev/ad8s1a      Avail: 0/43974 MB (0%)
D dvoldrive4  State: up       Device /dev/ad10s1a     Avail: 0/43974 MB (0%)

1 volumes:
V dvol         State: up       Plexes:       1 Size:        171 GB

1 plexes:
P dvol.p0   R5 State: up       Subdisks:     5 Size:        171 GB

5 subdisks:
S dvol.p0.s0   State: up       PO:        0  B Size:         42 GB
S dvol.p0.s1   State: up       PO:      717 kB Size:         42 GB
S dvol.p0.s2   State: up       PO:     1434 kB Size:         42 GB
S dvol.p0.s3   State: up       PO:     2151 kB Size:         42 GB
S dvol.p0.s4  State: up       PO:     2868 kB Size:         42 GB

The card:

fxp0: <Intel Pro 10/100B/100+ Ethernet> port 0x9000-0x903f
mem 0xdf800000-0xdf8fffff,0xe0000000-0xe0000fff

After the reboots, there does not seem to be any problems with the data.
We have settled to living with this problem, as it only happens about
once a month. We initially suspected that the machine might be
overheating, and tried extra cooling.

At least now, the information from this list, has made me suspect
vinum.

Thank for the info.

Andrew.