Date:      Sun, 29 Oct 1995 15:11:18 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   atapi.flp problem SOLVED!

I finally figured out why the atapi.flp images you've made don't work!
Basically, you can't have a "disk  wd? at wdc? drive ?" line on the
controller where your CD-ROM is located or the probing code will ONLY
check for a hard drive, and not a CD-ROM drive at this location.  The
reason that my kernel detected my CD-ROM, while your boot floppy didn't is
because I commented out the "disk wd2" and "disk wd3" lines on the second
controller.  Since I guess that 90% of people with IDE CD-ROMs have them
attached to a second controller (most ATAPI kits include a cheap 16-bit IDE
controller card for precisely this purpose), the simplest way to support
most ATAPI owners without going to a lot of trouble is simply comment out
these two lines in your config file, as follows:

> controller      wdc0    at isa? port "IO_WD1" bio irq 14 vector wdintr
> disk            wd0     at wdc0 drive 0
> disk            wd1     at wdc0 drive 1
>
> controller      wdc1    at isa? port "IO_WD2" bio irq 15 vector wdintr
> #disk           wd2     at wdc1 drive 0
> #disk           wd3     at wdc1 drive 1
>
> options         ATAPI   #Enable ATAPI support for IDE bus
> device          wcd0    #IDE CD-ROM

Hopefully, this will solve the problem for most ATAPI CD-ROM owners, at
the expense of the people who have their CD-ROM hooked up to the primary
controller or people who have hard drives on the second controller.
Therefore, if anyone has more than two IDE hard drives, plus an IDE
CD-ROM, they will have to install FreeBSD on one of the hard drives
connected to the primary controller.  Let me know when you have a fixed
atapi.flp to test.  Thanks!

     Jake Hamby                         |   E-Mail:  jehamby@lightside.com
  Student, Cal Poly University, Pomona  |   System Administrator, JPL