Date:      Sun, 29 Oct 2006 08:20:17 -0500
From:      "E. J. Cerejo" <ejc64@earthlink.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Can't connect to my wireless network

I'm running FreeBSD 6.1 Release and after installing a CNet CWP-854 pci =
wireless nic and running into some problems with the ral driver I was =
able to fix that but now I can't connect to my wireless network.

If I run these commands one at a time:

# ifconfig ral0 inet 192.168.1.42 netmask 0xffffff00 ssid My-Network
or
# ifconfig ral0 inet DHCP ssid My-Network

Nothing happens and if I check it with:

# ifconfig ral0

I get this:

ral0: flags=3D8803<UP,BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        inet6 fe80::ff:fe00:700%ral0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1=20
        ether 02:00:00:00:07:00
        media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect
        status: no carrier
        ssid My-Network channel 1
        authmode OPEN privacy OFF txpowmax 100 protmode CTS

status says no carrier I also notice channel 1 when I'm using channel 6 =
but I even tried to add the channel to the ifconfig command and still =
didn't work.  Also where is says ether, I'm assuming this is the MAC =
address, is not the right mac address for my wireless card, it should be =
00-08-A1-A4-E0-EC.  Right now I'm running a complete open network just =
to test this which later on I will use the "Access list" feature in my =
router which should not effect it.