Date:      Sun, 10 May 1998 18:22:04 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Advocating for FreeBSD

At 12:17 AM -0700 5/10/98, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> In any case, this all segues nicely into an opportunity to air a pet
> peeve of mine here, [...], and that's that we waste TOO MUCH BLOODY
> TIME on the pointless exercise of jumping up and down like a bunch
> of old ladies who've just seen a naked man ("Oooh!  Wouldya look at
> that!") every time some new Linux article comes out or somebody says
> something nasty about FreeBSD in a public forum.
>
> I'm all for playing a reasonable defensive strategy, don't get me
> wrong, but there also comes a point where you're just spending too
> damn much time reacting to your opponents moves and are not really
> engaged in formulating your own strategy.

I agree.

And as step in the right direction (IMO), I've changed the subject
to something about advocating FreeBSD instead of whining about the
fact that someone at a major company happened to mention Linux.  I
hope Linux does well, more power to them.

I happen to prefer FreeBSD, and wonder what ideas people have to
advocate *for* FreeBSD instead of just getting miffed whenever
someone mentions Linux.  I was hoping for a motto more catching
than "We're the operating system which wants to get mentioned
every time Linux gets mentioned".

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute