Date:      Wed, 13 Aug 1997 12:55:57 +0300
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        OFFCDT Peter Lewis <lewpj95@cs.adfa.oz.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re:

OFFCDT Peter Lewis wrote:

> Dear Sir,
>
> I was wondering, if as simply stated as possible, what is the difference
> between versions 2.1.7.1 and 2.2.2 of FreeBSD?
>
> Regards.
>
> Peter Lewis

Take a look at the release notes file for 2.2.2 for full details
(they're accessible through the newsflash and the releases pages on
http://www.freebsd.org). Mainly, 2.2.x has a new VM subsystem, which is
supposed to greatly improve performance, it has support for ELF Linux
binaries, some more devices, a new configuration file structure in /etc
and countless other changes that I don't recall off-hand.

2.1.7.1 is supposed to be more time-tested. 2.2.2 has some quirks and
for a production server you may want to try a more recent 2.2-RELENG
snapshot.

Nadav