Date:      Fri, 16 Dec 2016 08:45:09 -0600
From:      John Marino <freebsd.contact@marino.st>
Subject:   The ports collection has some serious issues

> On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 6:42 AM, Peter Jeremy <peter at rulingia.com> wrote:
>> On 2016-Dec-15 19:31:22 +0100, list-freebsd-ports at jyborn.se wrote:
>> Interestingly, the most vocal proponent of deleting portmaster and
>> portupgrade is the author/maintainer of synch.

It's not interesting at all.  Synth was in a large part created because
people were irrationally sticking with portmaster and more frighteningly
gaining new users.

> I won't say "never". But I feel that both package builders (poudriere,
> synth) need some more time to shake out more issues / bugs and get
> into a better shape first. This isn't based on any specific problems
> or bugs, more a "felleing2 based on people's feedback in the forums
> and on mailing lists.

I insist that you base this on "specific problems".  Speaking for Synth,
there are no known bugs in it.  There are no pending issues with
existing features.  It is updated frequently.  AFAIK poudriere is
updated regularly as well.  The above is an accusation that you
absolutely must back up with fact because it's basically defamation.

> If I was interested in package builders, I would spend some time
> helping to test them. Since my interests related to FreeBSD is on
> other things / tools / whatever, I spend my "FreeBSD time" on those
> other things instead.

DragonFly has switched to Synth from poudriere as it's primary package
builder.  That means it builds entire repositories (25,000 packages)
biweekly on multiple servers.  It's highly used which serves as
continuous testing.  I also use it on FreeBSD to test updates to ports.
In fact, anyone that updates ports should use either poudriere testport
or synth test.  (Based on evidence, it's clear that some people whom I
won't name publicly never use the QA checks before committing
significant changes but that's getting sidetracked).

The point is that these tools are in great shape and to imply otherwise
needs proof.  It's portmaster that's not receiving updates.

John

---