Date:      Thu, 28 Jan 1999 14:37:21 +0100
From:      HERBELOT Thierry <Thierry.Herbelot@alcatel.fr>
To:        Evren Yurtesen <yurtesen@turkey.ispro.net.tr>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: am I using elf or a.out ?

Hello,

First : file(1) tells you what binary format is used for each executable
on your system.

Then :
On a 3.0-RELEASE, all userland utilities (ls, csh ....) are elf, the
kernel is a.out and you can execute all a.out application program you
want (for example netscape)

on a recent 3.0(-Stable) userland and the kernel are all elf (you can
still run a.out programs - this possibility will stay in FreeBSD 3.x)

All of this will stay in 3.1 Release

	TfH