Date:      Tue, 5 Jan 1999 19:43:01 +0200 (EET)
From:      Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
To:        freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DEVFS, the time has come...

On Tue, 5 Jan 1999, Peter Wemm wrote:
> Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> [..]
>> Some thinking points:

[snip]

>>    * "device classes", are probably a good idea, although I have a
>>      hard time finding more classes than "disk" and "tty" and
>>      "console associated", where the latter covers mice, sound,
>>      keyboards, cameras and so on.

While mice, sound and keyboard may indeed be related to the console, I
fail to find any reason why a camera should be "console associated". While
video conferencing and video editing certainly are interesting and console
associated, these are but some of the ways cameras get used.

Cameras are much rather class "data acquisition" or class misc rather than
class "console associated".

Device classes may be useful, but creating a set of device classes that
both covers most devices, is meaningful and extensible is not trivial.

[snip]

> Other important classes are that spring to mind:  cua (quite different to
> tty), "tape" (different to disk).  There are some others that are not so
> clear, the floppy and cdrom being one.  Are they a "disk" or "console
> related"? It certainly could be important since if the system sees

Leaving floppy aside, a cd-rom can be both class "disk" and class "console
associated", indeed, there could be cd-roms in both "classes" present in
the system at the same time. A cd-rom device in a cd-rom tower for which
the system is no more than the interface to the network and cache is
definitely class "disk". The cd-rom in the desktop computer that has most
of the time an audio cd in it and occasionally a data cd or in which data
cd-roms get changed often is "console associated", especially if the
machine is "public".

How will multi-class devices be treated? Or should we have class "cd-rom"?

> partitions/slices on it, then it has to know what to call them.  On a
> system without devd running, one would have to
>   chmod -R 666 /dev/fd* /dev/rfd*
> every time the floppy was changed. However, being able to set the modes via
> a sysctl would solve that without needing devd.  I know the users would
> have it shot if that was the case. Implementing class support in the kernel
> should be almost trivial compared to the devfs task itself. I think that a
> driver should be able to name it's class (creating it if it doesn't exist
> yet),  just like the VFS's choose their own name.

Anything single-purpose can know it's class. Everything that can be used
in multiple classes must be able to migrate classes, possibly instance at
a time.

Will root be able to tell the device to leave behind it's silly prejudices
and start behaving like it should and joining another device class? Will
it be able to tell some instances of the device to join another class?