Date:      Thu, 19 Aug 1999 10:19:14 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        geoffb@castle.netlink.co.uk
Cc:        emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BSDi (binaries give bus error again/still)

In article <199908191707.SAA22123@castle.netlink.co.uk>,
Geoff Buckingham  <geoffb@castle.netlink.co.uk> wrote:

> I don't pretend to understand this but it certainly doesn't work in 3.2
> release:
>

> bash-2.02$  file wwwinstall.cgi
> wwwinstall.cgi: unknown pure executable
>
> bash-2.02$ kdump
>   4884 ktrace   RET   ktrace 0
>   4884 ktrace   CALL  execve(0xbfbfdd2f,0xbfbfdc58,0xbfbfdc60)
>   4884 ktrace   NAMI  "./wwwinstall.cgi"
>   4884 wwwinstall.cgi RET   execve 0
>   4884 wwwinstall.cgi PSIG  SIGBUS SIG_DFL
>   4884 wwwinstall.cgi NAMI  "wwwinstall.cgi.core"
>
> I am assured it does work in 2.2.8 anyone know what has happend ?

It must be a very old binary -- i.e., built under an old version of
BSD/OS.  Such binaries didn't allow for system-specific address
space differences.  They had a certain address hard-coded into them.

Binaries built under BSD/OS 3.0 definitely work on my 3.2 system.

John
  "No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up."        -- Nora Ephron