Date:      Sun, 21 Jan 1996 14:41:25 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jaye Mathisen <mrcpu@cdsnet.net>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: some RAID numbers.

On Sun, 21 Jan 1996, Justin T. Gibbs wrote:

> >Adjile RAID box, 5 Fuji 4GB disks, RAID 5, verify off (on cache), 8MB cache.
> >
> >P5120, 64MB RAM, FBSD 2.1 stable (supped 1/21), Adapter 2940UW, tag enabled.
>
> How many tags?  The default is only two unless you play around with the
> stuff around QUEUE_FULL_SUPPORTED in i386/scsi/aic7xxx.c

Whatever is default, I didn't touch anything other than the kernel config
file.

> <Benchmarks deleted>
>
> These numbers seem rather low.  What is the performance of the individual
> fujitsu drives.  Running bonnie on a single Quantum Atlas will blow
> these numbers away.  Are you doing RAID 5?  Even with RAID 5, I would
> still expect much better numbers.

Well, I ran raid 0, and it hauled butt.  These numbers compare pretty
well with a RAID box we have on an alpha under OSF with a mylex card.
I've never seen a RAID 5 that can do better than single spindle speed, it
would seem difficult to do, given the read write cycle.

Note also that I did say the FS was partially used, nor was the box
completely idle. (although there were no processes accessing that
controller/card other than mine.

I'd like to see the output from bonnie, just so I have some comparisons.
I have a barracuda with a 2940, and I don't see much better numbers.