Date:      Wed, 7 Mar 2001 01:41:39 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Jordan Hubbard <jkh@osd.bsdi.com>
Cc:        ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ARCH flag in new make.conf

--45Z9DzgjV8m4Oswq

On Wed, Mar 07, 2001 at 01:34:39AM -0800, Jordan Hubbard wrote:
> From: "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>
> Subject: ARCH flag in new make.conf
> Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 09:30:33 +0100 (CET)
>=20
> > I'm really confused and surprised by the fact, that with the upcoming n=
ew
> > FreeBSD 4.3 in its make.conf we can choose architectural parameters for=
 the
> > CPU architecture. And I will tell you why.
>=20
> It's not supposed to be set by the "general public" and failing to
> note this was an error, thanks.  I've just committed the following patch:

No, I think you're overreacting significantly here -- there just isn't
a large amount of evidence showing that -march=3D<...> produces bad
code, and this is the first suggestion I've heard that it does so.  In
fact, David O'Brien has been very supportive of the CPUTYPE code so
far, and he should know better than anyone which gcc optimizations are
dangerous on FreeBSD (e.g. he was the one who added the nasty warnings
for -O2 under alpha.

Kris

--45Z9DzgjV8m4Oswq

--45Z9DzgjV8m4Oswq--