Date:      Sat, 20 Nov 2004 12:48:22 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Importing into rc.firewal rules

>Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 13:32:15 -0500 (EST)
>From: Francisco Reyes <lists@natserv.com>

>I have a grown list of IPs that I am "deny ip from ###.### to any".
>Infected machines, hackers, etc..

OK....

>Is there a way to have this list outside of rc.firewall and just read it
>in?

Sure, if you modify rc.firewall or use a different mechanism to
construct the rules.  The supplied rc.firewall is a shell script; see
".  file" in man sh for one way to read the contents of another file
into a shell script.

You could also generate the ipfw comamnds via some other (combination
of) (scripting) language(s), including Perl or m4 -- as long as
each such component you use is available at the time it is first
invoked (rather early in the boot process).

A lot is likely to depend on how dynamic the "grown list" is.

Peace,
david
I resent spammers because spam is a DoS attack on my time.

See http://www.catwhisker.org/~david/publickey.gpg for public key.