Date:      Tue, 27 Nov 2001 09:15:40 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        Thiemo Nordenholz <nz@thiemo.net>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mprotect() takes quite long -- anyone knows this?

Thiemo Nordenholz writes:
 > Do you know what FreeBSD does when an ECC error is encountered? Does it log
 > it? Does it just silently discard the information? Can the kernel know about
 > ECC corrective actions at all? I have no clue of all that... Another
 > information I'd be happy to get :-)

All ECC errors are handled & single-bit errors are corrected by the
firmware.  When the firmware encounters an ECC event, it asserts a machine
check.

If you have a single-bit error, you'll see this on console:
 Warning: received processor correctable error.

If you have a multi-bit error (which cannot be corrected), your
machine will panic with a fatal machine check.

Drew