Date:      Sat, 24 May 1997 14:45:50 +0100
From:      Josef Karthauser <joe@pavilion.net>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Named -- Specifying addresses to bind to.

On Sat, May 24, 1997 at 10:27:45AM +1000, Daniel O'Callaghan wrote:

> On Fri, 23 May 1997, Josef Karthauser wrote:
>
> > > All you have to do is start named before the aliases.
> > >
> > Which it doesn't do in the new /etc/rc* files. :(
> > BTW I want it to bind to one of the aliases.  It doesn't matter if it also
> > binds to the network address of the card.
>
> Why do you want to bind to one of the aliases?  You aren't running your
> own secondary on the same machine, are you?  That would be terrible - it
> defeats the purpose of the secondary.

Hmm that'd be bad wouldn't it ;).  Fortunately we're not doing that here.
We've got three name servers around the system.  They're all on .1 or .2
ip addresses (i.e. 194.242.128.1), and these IP addresses exist within
our customer's tcp stacks for their DNS lookups.  To make it flexible
we use these ip addresses as aliases upon various machines as it makes it
easy to move this service around should we need to perform maintainence
on the supporting machines.

One of the supporting DNS machines, 194.242.128.2, also currently lives on
our virtual web server.  This also has a whole class C of DNS addresses
available to it to bind web server onto.  This machine does a lot of reverse
DNS lookups for logs, etc, and so it is also good that it performs its own
DNS lookups.

I guess it might horrify some people to think of running named on an alias
address.  I don't see why though, if aliases are reliable.  If they're not
then we've got different problems ;)

Joe.

--
Josef Karthauser