Date:      Sat, 8 Jul 1995 00:53:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Howard Lew <hlew@genome.Stanford.EDU>
To:        WWW Form <bert@mc.bio.uva.nl>
Cc:        www@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and EIDE

On Thu, 6 Jul 1995, WWW Form wrote:

> The machine this came from was: prince.mc.bio.uva.nl
>
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for your nice WWW pages about FreeBSD!
>
> One question: I can't find any reference on it
> whether FreeBSD supports Extended IDE (aka. EIDE)
> drives or not.  I do see SCSI and IDE, but not EIDE.
> Could you confirm/deny this question?

I don't know too much about the specifics, but I can see on boot up that
FreeBSD supports multi-block 16 and 64 on my two drives along with 32
bits.  Although it does seem to misprobe and assume multi-block 16 on
ide drives that don't handle it.

I believe these options need to be activated when you compile the kernel.
It does recognize my 3 hard drives on an EIDE controller (DTC 2728 Dual
Port 4hd/2fd version), but the controller seems to be slower than the
non-EIDE VLB 2hd/2fd controller which I have gone back to using.  I doubt
if this is FreeBSD's fault because even in DOS, the controller is slower
than the generic VLB controller I use.  (With no drivers in DOS, I get about
3.5 MB/s on the generic, and 1.8 MB/s on the DTC.  With DOS drivers, I get
4.6 MB/s on the generic, and about 3.6 MB/s on the DTC.)

Anyone have any good recommendations on inexpensive VLB 4HD/2FD EIDE
controllers?