Date:      Fri, 02 Dec 2005 19:46:33 +0100
From:      Hans Nieser <hans@nieser.net>
To:        David Reid <david@jetnet.co.uk>, freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Solution (was: Keyboard problems)

David Reid wrote:
> Mark Nowiasz wrote:

>>> *exactly* the same problem here.
>>
>> I've found the solution:
>>
>> change in /etc/X11/xorg.conf the 'Driver' entry in Section
>> "InputDevice" from "keyboard" to "kbd", restart X and it works :-)
>
> FWIW I've tried these changes and it hasn't made any difference. I
> still see the same errors :-(

I have been poking around a bit and found out the following:

The error goes away when I clear both the "layouts" and "options"
parameters in gconf located at /desktop/gnome/peripherals/keyboard/kbd.
Setting the layout with the "Keyboard Preferences" dialog sets these
options again however and makes the error show up. Even when selecting the
default keyboard layout I have to clear these settings in gconf-editor
manually, as the "Keyboard Preferences" dialog left the "options" gconf
parameter set.

I suspect this is all related to the fact that settings from gconf are now
always overridden by the "system configuration" (I think that means
xorg.conf). There's a deprecated key "overrideSettings" at
/desktop/gnome/peripherals/keyboard/kbd in gconf, that has the following

"Very soon, keyboard settings in gconf will be overridden (from the system
configuration) This key has been deprecated since GNOME 2.12, please unset
the model, layouts and options keys to get the default system configuration."

I suppose this means that if you want a non-default keyboard layout you
have to set it through the XkbModel/XkbLayout options in xorg.conf from
now on. I wonder why the Keyboard Preferences dialog wasn't updated
accordingly though... I might be entirely wrong about this