Date:      Sat, 7 Jul 2012 21:16:55 +0000
From:      "Bjoern A. Zeeb" <bzeeb-lists@lists.zabbadoz.net>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?Dag-Erling_Sm=F8rgrav?= <des@des.no>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Pull in upstream before 9.1 code freeze?

On 3. Jul 2012, at 12:39 , Dag-Erling Sm=F8rgrav wrote:

> Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org> writes:
>> The correct solution to this problem is to remove BIND from the base
>> altogether, but I have no energy for all the whinging that would =
happen
>> if I tried (again) to do that.
>=20
> I don't think there will be as much whinging as you expect.  Times =
have
> changed.
>=20
> I'm willing to import and maintain unbound (BSD-licensed validating,
> recursive, and caching DNS resolver) if you remove BIND.

I'd object to it.  Trading one for another without gaining anything does
not help us much.

Don't get me wrong I have both running for years and even maintain =
patches
for unbound for 2 years now for functionality they do not provide, which
named happily gives me.

If you want to do this, I would prefer a properly laid out action plan
as the import is by far the easiest but the integration into various
parts of the system is harder.

/bz

--=20
   It does not matter how good you are. It matters what good you do!