Date:      Tue, 22 Aug 1995 17:53:43 +0200
From:      "Julian Stacey <jhs@freebsd.org>" <jhs@vector.eikon.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de>
To:        Gary Palmer <gary@palmer.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bsd.ports.mk checksum

> The ports system is decidedly compile, install and clean-up in one go,
> or be burnt. Making it otherwise would require taking bsd.port.mk to
> such a level of complexity that it probably would fail more often than
> it would work.

I run a current ports tree, invoking `make all' each day, to top up with
new ports, in the same way one makes src/, works fine.
I'm not bothered if someone upgrades to a new distfile, I ignore till a make
clean.  The ports tree & mk files actually support this quite well.

> you have YET to suggest a fix to this situation!

Huh ? Have you forgotten what I proposed:
	Back out the md5 invocation used by `make all' from ports.mk,
	Leave invocation on extract.

> Yes, I agree that the checksum routine should not be run at every
> step,

Good, perhaps you can persuade Satoshi ?

> but I think that your reasons are mis-founded.

Suffice we want the same thing, why we want it doesn't matter :-)

> Expect us to go digging and impliment the fixes

Pointless me writing a patch till we agree what we need Eh ?
Even then, better for you or Satoshi to do it, you'r the regular ports guys.

`Too many cooks spoil the broth'
I don't approve un-necessary working in other's backyards, I prefer to leave
ports mechanism to others, & worry about my own area (Hylafax, Pbasic).

> You have an account on freefall, why ask such a pointless question
> when it'd be easier for you to go find out the answer yourself instead
> of making other people do the leg work?

You seem to have lost context or inference, & don't seem v. calm, so I'll pass.

> >	Is anyone exempt from the 2 person rule ?
> As far as I am concerned, for the ports tree, everyone is (perhaps
> excepting bsd.port.mk,

Sigh - ports mk is what the proposal is all about !

> Either calm down

But I am ! Even though Satoshi also asked me to calm down :-)
	(BTW: Ever heard the old joke about how to make an Irishman angry ?
		1st Questioner: Why are all you Irish argumentative ?
		Respondent:  	We're not :-)
		2nd Questioner: Why are all you Irish argumentative ?
		Respondent:  	We're Not.
		Respondent:  	We're NOT ! ...
	(With apologies to Ireland, which I like :-)

Anyway, calmly :-) ...

I aim to allow us to maintain an 800M ports/ online pre-compiled, but without
the burden of an extra 250M distfiles permanently on line (IMO intermittent
on line via a CD is enough),
We're nearly there, we just need a tweak to the md5 invocation in ports.mk.

(Having the sources permanently laid out in a tree makes a great way to
explore & experimentally tweak code).

> signature of a flamethrower

Pardon ? I recall no personal abuse issued or received,

The Issue:
	I propose we modify ports.mk so there is no md5 invocation by
	`make all' from ports.mk, but so there is invocation on `extract'.
If you agree, please discuss it with Satoshi, who seemed less atracted to it,
and come to a common agreed objective (a task description).
If I agree with your task description, I will write the diff for you,
if you want me to.

So ... you only have to discuss & agree (& not even with me :-)
& If I agree your mutual objective I'll do the work for you,
(& if I don't, well, you wouldn't want me to write it, would you ?)

Can't be fairer than that Eh ?

Julian S