Date:      Tue, 19 Apr 2016 16:15:13 -0700
From:      "K. Macy" <kmacy@freebsd.org>
To:        "Eggert, Lars" <lars@netapp.com>
Cc:        Dustin Marquess <dmarquess@gmail.com>,  "freebsd-net@freebsd.org" <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Issues with ixl(4)

On Mon, Apr 18, 2016 at 10:45 PM, Eggert, Lars <lars@netapp.com> wrote:
> I haven't played with lagg+vlan+bridge, but I briefly evaluated XL710 boa=
rds last year (https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-net/2015-October=
/043584.html) and saw very poor throughputs and latencies even in very simp=
le setups. As far as I could figure it out, TSO/LRO wasn't being performed =
(although enabled) and so I ran into packet-rate issues.

> I basically gave up and went with a different vendor. FWIW, the XL710 boa=
rds in the same machines booted into Linux performed fine.

FWIW, NFLX sees performance close to that of cxgbe (by far the best
maintained, best performing FreeBSD 40G driver) with an iflib
converted driver. The iflib updated driver will be imported by 11 but
won't become the default driver until 11.1 for wont of QA resources at
Intel.

-M