Date:      Wed, 1 Dec 2004 09:34:38 +0100 (CET)
From:      =?ISO-8859-2?Q?Kov=E1cs_P=E9ter?= <kovacspeter2@freemail.hu>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   DNS timeouts

Hello,

I have asked a similar question regarding to this issue, but
so far no solutions were made. Please help me.

I have a FreeBSD 4-STABLE box with udp.log_in_vain enabled.
Since the computer has 3 IP&#8217;s and only one network card
(virtual hosts) it should resolve names pretty fast (lot&#8217;s
of services).
So I got these error messages:
Connection attempt to UDP FreeBSD Box:4320 from DNS:53
Connection attempt to UDP FreeBSD Box:1363 from DNS:53
This is because the DNS lookups are timing out. So I had set
up a DNS server on the FreeBSD itself for the errors to stop.

I just have no luck with it. The same errors come up. I just
simply can&#8217;t understand how this time out could happen if it
goes on localhost. And the DNS is not overloaded.

I also tried to edit the /etc/resolv.conf file and add a
&#8222;lookup file bind
&#8222; line but I think this is not supported in FreeBSD. At
least it&#8217;s not in the manual and it didn&#8217;t help.

What can I do? I don&#8217;t want to disable udp.log_in_vain!

Thanks,
 Peter