Date:      Fri, 9 Jun 2000 00:37:02 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, chad@DCFinc.com
Cc:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Tyan Thunder 2400/i840 SMP no good

> > Given the MoBo's sold at Fry's with the memory sold at Fry's will run
> > Windows98 without falling over in a way that is not clearly Windows
> > fault, then we (FreeBSD) will look bad if we can't run on the same
> > hardware.
>
>There is no way to determine what is or is not "clearly Windows' fault".
>
>If the hardware corrupts data, then there is NOTHING that can be done
>about it.  End of story.
>
> > Can we claim (with a straight face) that there is a legitimate reason
> > FreeBSD is more picky about its hardware platform than Windows/NT
> > Server?
>
>It's not.

To expand on that, I have also heard of a lot of problems with these
boards being very picky about the memory used -- and I heard it from
people who WERE running windows on them.  They just shrug and go out
and buy more RAM until they get a set which works...  I just bought a
new machine for running Linux, and my windows-buddies steered me away
from anything having to do with those chipsets/motherboards.

Hardware problems really do effect everyone on all OS's.  FreeBSD
has no need to feel bad if it can not run on faulty hardware.  This
problem may not come up for people who buy a packaged system and
never add memory to it, but it certainly is happening to people
running Windows who add more RAM.

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.acs.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute