Date:      Mon, 16 Jul 2001 15:26:38 +0300
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To:        net@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   ICMP source quench - deprecated?

Hi,

I just had a friend ask me a weird question about ICMP source quench
and its handling in various OS's.  He proceeded to show me a part
of some version of the Linux kernel source, which processed a source
quench request properly, yet had a 'This is deprecated' comment
at the top.

I had a quick look at src/sys/netinet/tcp_subr.c, and on FreeBSD 4.x
and -current, an ICMP source quench seems to provoke a proper downsizing
of the connection window.

Is there any reason for ICMP source quench to be deprecated?
If so, what is it to be replaced with?  Or are the TCP window scaling
algorithms smart enough to downsize the window quick enough in case of
a noticeable packet loss?  (I guess they should be..)

G'luck,
Peter

--
If I were you, who would be reading this sentence?