Date:      Tue, 27 Jul 1999 14:41:30 -0700
From:      "Sean Leach" <sal@warp9tech.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Socket problem

Hi,

For starters we are on FreeBSD 3.2-release.
We have a perl persistent server that talks to a CGI through a Unix file
socket.  The cgi gets info, sends it to the perl server through the socket
and writes the result it gets back to File descriptor 1 (it's based on
minivend if anyone knows what that is).  Sometimes, the apache server gets
an Internal Server error when getting the results back. I log the HTML code
the perl server gets back, and it is valid HTML code with the correct
content-type header.  This never happened when we were running on Linux
kernel 2.0, but all of a sudden it is happening now.

We bumped the maxusers kernel flag to 256.  I assume this does an implicit
increase of CHILD_MAX, but not SOCONNMAX.  The cgi completes entirely, but
we get "Premature end of script header" errors in the apache logs.

On the minivend site, it says to bump up the CHILD_MAX on freebsd and BSDI.
Will this help, if we have maxusers at 256, shouldn't this increase this?
Is there any known problems when multiple servers try to attach to the same
socket?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I know this message is somewhat
vague, but I don't have a lot to go on.  Thanks a lot!

Sean