Date:      Fri, 10 Aug 2001 17:24:22 -0700
From:      Rob <europax@home.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mlsmith@mitre.org>
Cc:        "hackers@FreeBSD.ORG" <hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: the =+ operator

Mike Smith wrote:

> I've been doing this for a long time and today this would be taken as
> two operators. The assignment and unary +. Since A = B is the same as A
> = +B, it would perform the same as a simple assignment. The only reason
> I can see to do this legitimately is for clarity reasons, i.e., if what
> follows the "+" is almost always used as a negative but this use is an
> exception. But more likely, at some point there was something between
> the = and + at one point that got deleted, but the "+" was left. Since
> this is "the default", there would be no coding or operational errors
> from leaving it in.
>
> Then again, it could have been intended to be += and you've found a
> heretofore undiscovered bug! All you have to do is press Shift at the
> wrong time (not that I've ever done that).
>
> Mike Smith
> (but not "THE" Mike Smith)
>
> Rob wrote:
> >
> > My first post on hackers, so please don't flame me too bad :)  I think
> > that only an old hacker can give me the answer :)
> >
> > I've searched far and wide on search engines to find out what the =+
> > operator does, to no avail.  I'm porting some old code and found it.  I
> > made a test program and compiled it with gcc, and all it appears to do
> > is the same as regular assignment.  But I'm wondering if in some day
> > long ago, it mean't something else?  Thanks,  Rob.

> > with "unsubscribe freebsd-hackers" in the body of the message

Thanks Mike, also thanks for everyone elses response.  This code is
actually pretty new.  It part of a bi-gradient conjugate solver for FEM
simulators.  I compiled the original code with gcc, so I'm assuming it
just treated =+ as an =.  But just for kicks I also tried +=.  In any
case I have some other bugs in it that I have to track down since
no-matter which way I tried the assignment, my solutions fail to
converge :(           Rob.