Date:      Sun, 12 Oct 1997 17:51:01 -0200 (EDT)
From:      Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@coppe.ufrj.br>
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Gravis Ultrasound is dead ?

#define quoting(Roel de Wit)
// From: roel@slash.xs4all.nl (Roel de Wit)
// Date: 11 Oct 97 19:28:28 +0100
// Subject: Please read this..
// To: gus-general@earth.GAIANET.NET

// Hello All,
//
// Since it seems that Gravis has discontinued it's line of soundcards I would
// like try to set up a programming/beta-testers team which I planning offer
// Gravis so that they may have enough fate in us to give us the driver(s)
// sources.. And this is where I/we need your help...
//
// For the programmers among you I have the following questions:
//
// - Do you have a GUS (of course you guys do)? Which one(s) ?
// - Do you have some "REAL" C++/Assembly/driver programming experience ? If so
// please give some details (things you made in the past, etc..)
// - Would you be willing to do some coding on potential new GUS Classic/MAX/PnP
// drivers for free ?
// - Would you be willing to work as a member of a group (probably via a small
// mailinglist) on this, just to be sure things won't run out of hand.
//
// Additionally I would also like to have some "skilled" beta-testers.. For this I
// have the following line of questions about your hardware :
//
// - Type of GUS(ses) you posses
// - Type of PC (CPU, Motherboard, RAM installed, cards installed)
// - Operation System(s) you use.
// - Additional hardware (such as MIDI keyboards etc)
//
// If you can answer the above questions positively please send me an EMAIL with
// at least one of the above groups fully answered and perhaps equally important,
// your motivation.
//
// The current goals are:
// - Directsound drivers for GUS MAX cards (should not be too hard)
// - Better digital audio streaming support in the GF1 drivers
// - NT drivers for GUS MAX and probably also for the GUS Classic
// - Fixing the MIDI-in bug in the GUS PnP's drivers
// - A patchmaker for the GUS PnP line of cards
// - 64+ Kb .fff file support
// - Support for .XM and .IT modules via the Digital Music driver or an external
// program that uses the drivers.
// - Support for multiple layers in the GF1 drivers, possible through .fff/+.dat
// support (the Linux driver allready has this)
// - ??? Future Win98/NT5.0 drivers ???
// - Make GUS survive the coming years...
//
// When having anything to add to the above please do...
//
// P.S. I'll report back to you all in a week or two in the GUS Digest.
//
// Grtzzzzzzzzzz Roel
//
//       Utopia Sound Division - http://sdc.wtm.tudelft.nl/utopia
// << CHECK OUR WWW SITE FOR INFO ON OUR GUS PnP "Utopia" SOUNDBANK !! >>
//       mb164@hi.fontys.nl (school) | roel@slash.xs4all.nl (home)
//
// ... "I didn't know you believed in ghosts, Scully!"--Mulder
// --- GoldED/386 3.00.Alpha4 UNREG
//
//      ....        Slash Internet Gateway - http://www.slash.nl/
//